Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 184: I Broke My Toe . . . I Think

I suppose that technically I cannot say for absolute certainty that I broke my toe, but what I know is that I cannot bend or move it without causing myself extreme pain, and I cannot put very much weight on it without it becoming extremely painful. 

How did I manage this feat you ask?  Well, we decided last night to move Jefferson to the guest room instead of our bedroom because his little noises throughout the night were making it hard for us to sleep even when he was sleeping.  And, Barney had had a very long day, so I decided to do the middle of the night feeding in the guest room as well so that Barney would be able to sleep through the night without interruption.  Only, on my way in there, I decided that instead of walking through the doorway, it would be better just to walk right into the door itself, jamming the door between two of my toes in an extremely painful fashion.

My initial yelp of pain was enough to get Barney out of bed to check on me, but when he realized it was just a stubbed toe, he was quickly headed back to bed.  Only then, a few minutes later, I decided to try to wiggle my toes, which caused extreme pain and desperate appeals to Barney to come aid me, which he did without complaint.  So much for a full night's sleep.  Instead, he ended up in the guestroom while Jefferson and I took over the master bedroom.

To make matters worse, he had to get up really early with George and Olivia to go to George's last baseball game--a double header that began at 8:00am.  He followed that up with a round of golf with my dad, brother, and a friend, and then finished the night out with a pool party at a neighbor's house.  He's been in bed since 9:00, and I am hoping to allow him to get some great sleep, especially since tomorrow is Father's Day. 

We won't be able to do too much tomorrow to celebrate sadly, in part because we can't really take Jefferson out in public yet and in part because I have a broken toe and am quite limited in my ability to do things.  His present was the lawn mower that we got a few weeks back.  So, basically, I am planning a nice dinner tomorow night and as much downtime as possible for the guy.

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to catch some ZZZs myself pretty soon as I feel myself teetering on the brink of exhaustion.  My goal is to sleep when the kids sleep tomorrow at the very least, but if that doesn't happen, hopefully at least Barney will be well-rested and get to have an enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment