Friday, August 12, 2011

Happy Anniversary!

Dear Barney,
 
I have been wanting to write you all week long this week, but the baby's new schedule of getting up at 6:00am is limiting my time a bit more than I would like.  First of all, happy anniversary!!  I can't believe that we have been married for eight years, and I really can't believe that from this point forward, we will have logged less time as a married couple without kids than time as a married couple with kids.  Our big boy is going to be four this week, can you believe it??  My heart just swells each time I see you playing these games with him that are so much more grown up than what he could do even a few short months ago.
 
This week was a really great week for us I thought.  Our actual anniversary day was kind of a comedy of errors from the canceled babysitter and thus canceled plans to the charred and inedible mushrooms and the terrible choice of movie that we picked.  For much of my life, I would have been really upset by these things, feeling that the day was ruined.  But, this year, I wasn't actually upset at all; instead, I felt very close to you and was just happy to be with you and to have our eight years to celebrate at all.
 
Then, we kind of got a second chance at our evening tonight since our oldest kids are at my parent's house for the night.  I loved our nap together this afternoon.  Since you almost never nap, and since one of us pretty much always has to be on kid duty during daylight hours, we so rarely nap together as to have it be nonexistent in our life.  I loved those stolen couple of hours.  Then, we finally got the bookshelf built, had a delicious dinner, and watched a much better movie.  
 
To top it off, we got to share those stolen minutes in the brief rainstorm that blew through, giving our baby his first experience with rain.  I loved sitting on our porch together smelling the rain and watching the Earth hungrily devour the so desperately needed precipitation.  We get so wrapped up in our own lives that we can forget just how much we rely on nature and God's providence in our lives.  The rain was such a vivid reminder of that tonight, and it made me feel so close to you to know that whatever is thrown at us will be faced by us as a united front.
 
I love you so much.
 
--me.

No comments:

Post a Comment