Sunday, July 17, 2011

Few Posts, No Less Dedication

Dear Barney,

Though you don't know about this project or this blog, I wanted to write you to tell you that my lack of writing is not correlated to giving up on my goal of being a better wife and helpmate to you this year.  If anything, I think about this project much more often now that we are busy with three kids including our newborn son.

Each day comes with new obstacles that we must overcome in terms of being able to meet our work goals and having any personal time leftover after caring for our children, so each day I think in terms of offering assistance to you in those ways.  Some days, like yesterday, I get up early even though I also took the late shift in order to allow you the luxury of sleep.  While I know that this is always a great and appreciated gift, I have to be careful because I also understand that my general crankiness after a short night's sleep is not so appreciated, and rightly so.  Today, you watched the women's World Cup soccer game without dealing with children or any other distractions.  You also got to use both my computer and yours, which meant that I could not get any work done during the precious nap hour.  Then, after the bitter disappointment of the loss, I watched all the kids so you could go mow and have some alone time. 

Of course, I know that this means that tomorrow you will have to do more than your share of watching the kids so that I can try to work, especially since the nanny is off this week.  One thing about having three kids is that we rarely get to take time for ourselves without having to give it back later on for the other person to be able to catch up.  I don't think that there is anything wrong with that.  You give and get and so do I.  It only makes our partnership stronger.  I am not sure when we will be able to consistently have time together, but my goal is to somehow get enough work done during the day this week that one of the days we can watch the new movie we just got in together--just the two of us.

I do think that things have vastly improved since our talk last week, and I want to thank you for your ongoing dedication to making the changes that we discussed.  I have seen a clear and consistent shift in your behavior over the past week.  I hope you can say the same for me :)

I love you.

always,
--me.

No comments:

Post a Comment