Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 1--A Failed Experiment

So, Monday, December 13th was my first day to try out my little experiment.  I will tell you now that I am writing this on Tuesday, December 14th because my first day resulted in the quick modification of my plans.

In starting out on my journey, I had simply a vague idea that I would look for opportunities to do something nice for Barney (as he shall be called henceforth).  I did not have a deliberate plan; instead, it was more of a sense of trying to be nicer to him overall.

I don't want to give you guys the impression that I am not nice to him in general, but I think a little bit of background information might be apropos here.  First, I am about 15 weeks pregnant as I type this.  I had a very hard first trimester for a variety of reasons (not the least of which is probably the fact that I spend much of my time trying to wrangle in my three year old boy and one year old little girl).  So, I have been exhausted on a daily basis and hormonal more often than I like to admit.  Secondly, both my husband and I happen to have jobs that allow us to telecommute, which means that we spend most days in close proximity with one another.  It's probably not super fun to be around a somewhat cranky and very tired preggo day in and day out.  Things have been about me around here a lot lately, and I want to see that change.

So, back to Day 1.  Throughout the day, I made small attempts at being nicer to Barney, such as stopping my tongue instead of criticizing his kitchen cleanup attempt, fixing him a simple breakfast (toasted cinnamon bagel) and cleaning up his dishes, and making hot chocolate for him after the kids were in bed.  All of these things were nice, but they felt more like things I should be doing for him as his wife anyway, not like attempts to really show him how much he means to me.

During my nightly bath last night then, I started brainstorming on ways to make this project more viable in terms of improving my relationship with my husband and in terms of sustainability.  So, I came up with this blog and with the idea that each day must include at least one deliberate and pre-meditated act on my part.  I also came up with my idea for Day 2 . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment