Sunday, May 15, 2011

Days 151-153: A Great Birthday Weekend

Being tired is not a new sensation for me, but the kind of tired that I feel tonight is about as tired as I ever have felt.  This weekend was really an amazing weekend for me, and I would not trade one moment of it, but I would be lying if I didn't admit just how worn out I am.

Friday was a crazy day for our house.  We had a plumber installing a water softener from about 10:00am until after 9:00pm.  We had window cleaners cleaning the inside and outside of our windows for several hours, we had two women cleaning our house in preparation for the weekend, and we had our trim guy destroying and rebuilding our rock fireplace in preparation for installing a mantle.  All of this happened on top of trying to cook for the weekend and my regular workload.

Then, Marshall and his wife got into town for the weekend, and the festivities began.  We went out to eat then came home for the first of three of our big board games.  Of course, I would go on to win.  But, the game was a long one--we called it a night at midnight in preparation for our early morning, which turned out to be much earlier than expected when our nephew woke up at 3:30 and did not calm down until almost 5:00am.

After that very short night, we were up at 6:30am for George's first t-ball game, which was freezing.  But, George had two great hits and seemed to enjoy the game for the most part.  Then, we went to breakfast with my parents (who had come up for the game) and Marshall and crew.  We tried a place a neighbor had recently recommended, and it was fantastic.  After breakfast, my parents went home and the rest of us headed to the zoo, which was a blast.  We got home from the zoo around 3:00, and all of us took a short nap.  At 4:00 we headed to a birthday party for a little boy on our street, and then from there we went to dinner with some other friends and Marshall, his wife, and son.  Then, it was back to our house for the completion of our first game and two subsequent games.  In a landmark occurrence, I won all three games of the weekend.  After the games, I started my work for the day and got to bed around 2:30. 

Back up at 7:30, I made bacon and brie quiche and yogurt parfaits for brunch for the crew while we all worked on getting things ready for the party, from cleaning up the house, to decorating, to food prep.  Barney surprised me with a giant mural of pictures of me from birth to now.  It was a great walk down memory lane.  Barney's family started trickling in around 1:00, and everyone was here by 3:00.  The party was amazing, and everyone stayed until about 7:30.  A couple of the women really stepped up and helped out with cleaning which was amazing too.  Barney also coordinated a recipe book for me where each family contributed at least one recipe along with a Bible verse and/or word of encouragement.  I was extremely touched by the work that both Barney and my family put into this project.  It is something I will always treasure.

Barney and I put the kids down pretty much right away, and then we cleaned until 9:00.  I am now taking a quick break from work but am close to being incapable of getting anything else done. 

I realize that this post was more of a catalogue of our weekend rather than a discussion on my ongoing attempts to improve at being a wife.  I post it despite that knowledge because I want it as a record of this amazing weekend and how special and loved I felt all throughout it.

No comments:

Post a Comment