Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 132--Happy Easter!

The flood yesterday threw all of our Easter plans for the weekend right up into the air or out the window, depending on how you look at it.  My parents had to come get our children so that we could focus on dealing with the water covering our bottom floor.  Then, the question was whether or not to move our festivities for the Easter meal from our house to my parent's house.  We had been planning to fix Easter lunch here for a while, though that almost got cancelled once it was apparent that we would still not have reliably working appliances.  Then, we decided to just cook out on the grill, so we were back on here.  But, when our house flooded, I wanted to cry uncle and move the party to my parent's house.  My parents were fine with the plan.  But, Barney was very afraid to be gone from our house for so long because if the water were to start coming out again, then we would not be here, and we could sustain large damage to our house and property.  While I felt fairly confident that this would not happen, it was clear that Barney just ultimately was not going to be comfortable leaving the house.

My options were whittled down to two basic options: have Easter at my parent's house without Barney or keep it here and have to get everything ready for the festivities despite the recent flood and house full of water extraction equipment.  Ultimately, I could not go with a plan that would leave Barney out of the family celebrations, so I texted my mom to see if we could still have everyone over.  She graciously agreed, and so we got to work on getting the food fixed (much of the food was also brought by my family), the house cleaned up, and everything ready for today.

We also could not go to church since that would require us to be gone for over two hours, which Barney was not comfortable doing at all.  So, we watched church on our computers from live streaming.   Then, we got right back to work.  The house looked pretty normal (outside of the guestroom at least) by the time everyone arrived, and I think that everyone had a good time.  Nothing was lost outside of some sleep, so I think it was a good decision.  And, the good news is that we are facing a week where we should not have major home projects that we are working on, so maybe we will get some recuperation time. 

Once we got the kitchen cleaned and the fans back up, Barney took the rest of the night off to relax and watch a soccer game.  While I had to work, I was really glad that he got some down time, because he has been going non-stop just as much as I have the last few weeks, and he deserves this break.  Tomorrow we have about 15 different contractors/repair people supposedly coming, so it will be another busy day for him (he deals with almost all of that, thank goodness for me).

But, for tonight, he is off the clock, and as of the end of this sentence, so will I be--bedtime for this tired person :)

No comments:

Post a Comment