Sunday, April 10, 2011

Days 117 & 118--Vacation from My Problems?

We leave in less than two days for our big trip to New Orleans, and in some ways it could not have come at a better time.  Neither Barney nor I have really taken anything resembling a break for weeks now.  We haven't even watched a 20 minute show, read any books, gone on any walks, etc.

Our time is divided between four things: working, caring for the children, house-related items like unpacking, shopping, etc, and dealing with food.  We are down to one room and one major project--the kitchen and my books (which we cannot do until my new bookshelves arrive, hopefully next week).  Then, we will have lots of little projects, but the boxes will essentially be gone.

It is my goal to get the kitchen unpacked and put away before we leave on our trip, which means I have a lot of work to do.  Barney has been working as much as he can on his own projects (mostly outside and the office), but he has been really great about pitching in where he can, like breaking down boxes and putting up the shelving pins.

I am still working to maintain a strong awareness of Barney's needs and to offer little ways to show him I love him, such as organizing his closet for him once it was apparent that it was something he was avoiding rather than looking forward to (I guess I am weird that I like organizing my closet???) even though what I really wanted to be doing was working in the kitchen.  But, really, the house has come before either of us for the last many days, and I am looking forward to this trip and the opportunity to spend time just enjoying one another without any distractions outside of our ongoing work schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment