Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 26--A Backup Plan

We decided to spend last Easter in Houston with Barney's family, in part so that we could hear Barney's dad give his Easter Sunday sermon.  I worked full time for a university in an administrative position at that time, and I had much less flexibility in terms of my hours, meaning that I would be working a full eight hours for most of that trip.

We arrived after dinner one night, and when I went to power things up the next morning, disaster struck.  At that time, I had been saving all of my files on a flash drive, with a backup system being created once a month or so.  I was a couple of days past my backup date, and when I went to open my files, nothing worked.  Something apparently happened on the drive to Houston that destroyed my flash drive.  It looked totally normal on the outside, and I was not aware of any issues related to my laptop bag.  But, I worked for hours and tried everything to no avail.  About 5 weeks’ worth of work was completely gone, setting me and the project I was currently working on back a very long ways.  It was a huge disaster.  I quickly moved to saving everything on my laptop and to using a (new) flash drive as my backup system.

Fast forward to the middle of the summer.  In an attempt to help sell our house, Barney and I rented a storage unit and cleaned out as much of our stuff as we could put into storage.  Barney handled the office, which is his domain, and our flash drives apparently went into storage.  This means that neither of us have backed up our files in, oh, six months or so.  Not our smartest move ever.  So, today when I was out shopping, I bought each of us a new backup flash drive.  And, I am currently in the process of backing up the files on both of our computers.  I am going to file them away, and I have set up a calendar reminder for once a month at this time to pull them out and to create a new set of backup files.

It's not the most romantic gesture I've come up with, but I promise that if something ever happens to his computer, he will be very, very grateful for it then.  And sometimes our most sincere outpourings of love come in the form of our most practical gestures.

No comments:

Post a Comment