Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 32--Hamburger, Fries, and a Chocolate Shake Please

I can't say this for sure, but I would guess that everyone has something that they wish they could change about themselves.  I have several, and pretty high on the list would be adjusting my food tastes so that I would not have such a limited palate.  I think it would make me a better cook, and it would certainly make me a more fun dining companion.  Barney has always been very patient with my various food aversions, but it does mean that he doesn't get to eat some of his favorite foods very often.  Case in point would be potatoes.  From infancy, I have despised the taste of potatoes--they feel and taste like dirt in my mouth.

When I tell people I don't like potatoes, they inevitably misunderstand and start quizzing me on the various potato forms--french fries, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, hash browns, tater tots, and on and on.  The answer is nope, I don't like any variety of potatoes.  I also don't like ketchup.  Or hamburgers.  Or milkshakes.  Hamburgers, french fries, and milk shakes are some of Barney's absolute favorite foods, but his favorite places that serve these types of food tend not to have much food that I like, so we rarely go, though I am getting somewhat better about this, especially since both of our kids like french fries a lot.  Unfortunately, George's taste in food takes after me, so we look for all the variety we can get in his diet.  Other people let their kids eat french fries as a special treat; we secretly feel like throwing a party when our son eats them just because it means he's eating something.

I noticed a new burger place by one of our favorite shopping areas a few days ago, so I decided to treat Barney to lunch today by taking him to the new restaurant and getting him a burger, fries, and a milkshake.  It was $12 out of my budget, but Barney was so excited.  Unfortunately, the food was not his favorite--it was "gourmet"--ie the fries were cooked in olive oil and seasoned with rosemary, and so it was not exactly the food that Barney had in mind.  We had fun on the outing though, and Barney was definitely excited to get to eat a hamburger, etc, while with me.  

While we were there, we got a call for yet another showing, which meant back to the house for quick clean up.  We've never had such a rush of showings before, and I have to admit that it's making me hopeful that we might actually sell our house before baby boy is born.  I'm trying not to get them up too high, however.  Our last update from the realtor showed that our house has been on the market for over 300 days at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment