Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 39--Bath time Routine

Today's gesture was a small one to be sure--I took over bath time with the kids this evening.  Bath time is one of those things that somewhere along the line became Barney's job.  Usually I am doing something like cooking dinner, cleaning up dinner, cleaning up the house, etc, and so Barney would inherit the job of giving the kids their bath pretty often.  After time, it just sort of became his job.  I think this started about the time that Olivia became old enough to be able to bathe with her big brother.  It's not that Barney doesn't like giving the kids a bath or that I mind the job, it's just something that he is usually in charge of that he didn't have to do tonight.

But, if I am totally honest, I have to admit that it was not my most successful gesture ever.  I don't think that the issue was the size of the gesture at all.  As usual, it came down to an attitude.  Barney has been working hard on a new project for his company, and he has been really caught up in the project.  And this has led to him being a tiny bit brusque with me over the last couple of days.  I'm trying not to take it personally, but this evening I was kind of in a bad mood after feeling brushed off or like an annoying impediment to his real goals for the whole day.  So, I gave the kids a bath, but the mindset was off, and I knew it.

Since the kids have been to bed though, we've had a nice and relaxing evening just the two of us, and I feel like the equilibrium is back.  And, since he's busy playing Xbox, I am going to get busy getting online and planning our itinerary for our big trip.  I've got dates nailed down now, so I can really get started at this point.

--I did want to give one update though--last night, when I signed off to go try to get some work done and etc, Barney called to tell me that we had a showing, from 6:30 to 7:30.  At this point, it was 5:00pm, and Olivia was just waking up from her nap (remember she was sick all day yesterday).  So, we had an hour and a half to get the house ready while taking care of a sick baby and keeping our healthy toddler from just making messes everywhere.  Then, we couldn't go anywhere because Olivia was sick.  So, we got Wendys and went and sat in our car a block from the house thinking that they would get there around 6:30 and that we would be back in the house by 7:00.  An hour and a half later, we escaped from the car and were able to come in the house and put the kids in bed.  I have to admit that there were as good as they could possibly be, but it was a very, very long 90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment