Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 27 & 28--A Date and an Illness

I woke up yesterday morning to a text message from a dear friend offering to come through on a free babysitting coupon that she had given me for my birthday and that had never been redeemed.  I immediately dropped my initial plan for yesterday and took it upon myself to plan a date for Barney and myself.

After hard thought, I could not come up with a single day in all of 2010 when we brought in a babysitter and had a night out just the two of us.  We tend to go out to eat at lunch instead, since we already have childcare lined up during that hour. 

So, I looked up movie times and restaurant information before he woke up, and then while he was taking the kids to school, I sent him an evite for our date.  He came home with a huge grin on his face, and it was clear that he was honestly excited about the prospect of our date.

We both gussied ourselves up, and we were out the door by 6:00 to head to a steakhouse not too far from our house that we had never visited but always wanted to.  We shared a Steak au Poivre, the house salad, broccolini, mashed potatoes, shrimp scampi, and macaroni and cheese followed by a brownie sundae for dessert.  I can't imagine how much food there would have been if we had gotten separate meals.

Somehow we thought we had tons of time since our movie did not start until 7:50, but when our check arrived, we looked at the time only to discover that the movie started in five minutes.  We dashed to the theatre and missed the previews but none of the film itself--Black Swan.  Barney is a lifelong Natalie Portman fan, and so we were both pretty excited to see this one.  It was good, though in a creepy way.

All in all it was an excellent night out.  It was filled with good food, enjoyable conversation, and several good laughs.  It's funny how before George was born, a night consisting of dinner out and a movie at the theater were par for the course, whereas now they are few and far between.  I think that just makes them all the more enjoyable when we do get to have one though.

The bad news is that today I woke up with a nice fever, major body aches, and an inability to do much of anything that requires me to leave the couch.  Poor Barney has basically had to take care of both kids and me all day long, making it hard for me to do much in the way of my project today.  My plan is to order him a pizza and corral the kids somewhere upstairs when the Colts game comes on this evening.  Barney is a huge Colts fan, and he is going to need the break at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment