Sunday, January 30, 2011

Days 48 & 49 -- A Marathon Sickness and a TV Marathon

After another sleepless night on Friday, which culminated in a 3:00am call to the night nurse at my Obgyn's office, I knew that I was not going to recover as quickly as I hoped.  I am proud to say that I did not actually say any of the rather foul things that crossed through my head when talking to the night nurse, who may or may not have been a 15 year old candy striper with a very poor attitude.  Let me just say that if a pregnant woman is calling you at 3:00am, it's because she's run out of any other options and would not ask you questions if she had found the answer anywhere else.

I woke up Saturday morning with less congestion but intense pain in my face from the sinus infection, particularly in the cheekbones and jaws.  It basically feels like a hundred toothaches at once.  I had to suck it up and lead a conference call, though it was blessedly short.  I think they felt sorry for me based on my voice.  After that point, I called my regular doctor and pled for more ideas for things to do to relieve the pain and speed up the recovery process, and he said that I basically have to be patient.  So, my mom really stepped up for me by coming and picking up the kids.  While Barney was doing a great job watching them, it is very hard to be really sick in front of your kids.  First, they don't understand why you can't play and hold them like normal, and second, seeing you feel bad makes them feel scared.  When they left, I went straight to bed and stayed there for five hours, alternating between dozing and reading a little bit.  I didn't work or even turn on my computer.  About 5:30, I got up with the intention of eating some dinner, doing a minimal amount of work, and heading back to bed. 

But at this point, I realized that Barney was really at loose ends.  He was caught up on work, had no kids to watch, and didn't want to go out with friends because he wanted to be here for me (despite sincere encouragement on my part).  So, I agreed to watch some movie that I didn't have much interest in that we've had from Netflix for several weeks.  About 20 minutes in, we gave it up as the worst film ever.  Barney still wanted to watch something though, so he started to peruse our instant watch library and found a television show called Kidnapped that he'd always wanted to see.  It only ran one season back in 2006.  I agreed to try one out.  Between 8:00pm last night and 2:00pm this afternoon, we watched all 13 episodes.  It was really fun, and it allowed me to rest in bed while also doing something with Barney that he wanted to do.  It was a perfect solution, and it just sort of fell into my lap.  The downside is that I am now (and seemingly perpetually these days) further behind in my work than I would like to be.  But that seems par for the course these days.

I just also want to state for the record that as soon as I am well, I am going to have to do something to make myself have feminine appeal again--poor Barney has seen me with either nose strips or tissue stuffed up my nose, unfixed hair, in pajamas, and constantly either coughing up gook or blowing my nose for six days now.  Maybe my goal for tomorrow can just simply be to try to be something resembling pretty for him.  Also, maybe I should try to cook some food--that seems a bit over-zealous though ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment