Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 50--A Stab at Normalcy

There is some irony to be had in my title for today as I am currently writing this with a long skinny beanbag perched on top of my head and hanging down like dog ears in an attempt to sooth my aching face.  (I don't know what it's actually called--it is usually used for necks, but I have placed it in various positions all over my face and head in the last week to find something like soothing relief for a few minutes).

But, I did several non-remarkable things today that felt very remarkable to me.  First, I woke up after sleeping for over eight straight hours.  Then, after a minor crying jag (because I wasn't well enough to go to Barney's niece's birthday party today) which probably should just be erased from historical records, I put on real clothes (rather than yoga pants), and I actually blow dried and fixed my hair for the first time in far too long.  I decided makeup would just look silly though.

Then, I had a productive work morning while Barney and the kids were in Dallas enjoying the party.  When they came home, I was very active in taking care of the kids, I went grocery shopping without assistance, and then I finally fixed the spaghetti dinner that has eluded me for weeks now.

By the time I finished cleaning up dinner, I knew that I had gone too far and done too much today.  And, at first I was disappointed in the effect that it had on Barney--that is to say, not really any effect at all.  But, then I realized that all that meant was that I had been successful--I gave Barney a normal day with a normal wife who could do normal things for the first time in seven days.  It might not be much to comment on, and it is surely a sad topic for my 50th day of my project, but I honestly believe that it was appreciated.  It has to get really old having a sickie in the house when you are healthy and nothing seems to bring respite to the sick person for very long.  I'm hoping that by the end of this week, this whole episode will be nothing more than a memory not much worth thinking about.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww! Good job for the hair wash and blowdry! I'm sure that helps even YOU feel better :-)

    ReplyDelete