Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 55--The World's Longest Trip to Chipotle

I wish I could report today that I've had some great inspiration or even managed to organize my thoughts more coherently since last night, but I'm still mucking about here.  So, in response to my confusion, I sort of gave myself the day off.  I slept until 8:45 this morning, and then got to enjoy donuts for breakfast--no cooking for me.  We played around in the city for the morning, and then during nap time I was able to get all of my work for the day done as well as getting in a 20 minute catnap.  Other than doing laundry, I took it pretty easy, though what was nice was that me taking it easy did not translate into Barney having to take care of the kids.  Since the workload was light today and since I didn't need a big nap, we just got to enjoy downtime with the kids in the midst of laundry and other such necessities.

So, when it came time for dinner, I took a similarly laissez faire approach and offered to either make chili or to go to Texas Roadhouse, which is a steakhouse that Barney and I both loved in college and would also frequent for a nice night out when we were first married.  However, there is not a Texas Roadhouse in our city, and the closest one is almost a 30 minute drive.  The restaurant itself is probably not worth that drive, but we've been talking about it and craving certain foods from there for months now.  With nothing else on the docket, we decided just to pack the kids up and go.  And we did.  Only to arrive at 6:15 to be faced with a 60+ minute wait, which was not going to work for the kids.  It probably wasn't our smartest move to decide to go out to eat on the night before the Super Bowl in the city hosting said bowl.  It was very interesting just getting in and out of downtown.

So, we turned around and drove back home, stopping three minutes from our house to pick up Chipotle for Barney (as I said--no more of that for me until post-pregnancy).  I had leftovers.  Then, tonight, we watched a movie, and I finished a book, always a huge pleasure.

While I didn't break my back trying to come up with new ways to treat Barney today, I was very conscious of making sure that his day was good and of doing what I could to make him happy.  It may have lacked the planning that was such an integral part of my concept for this project, but it was a good day--for both of us.  We will go to bed happy and content tonight (well Barney already has, but I'm following right now).  It was nice to have the low-key today because tomorrow is going to be insane.  We've got two birthday parties and a Super Bowl party.  Oh, and to get to where we need to be, we just have to cross past the site of the Super Bowl itself both coming and going.  It will be an adventure if nothing else :)

No comments:

Post a Comment