Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 75--No Donuts but a Picnic

Today started as every Saturday at home does--Mommy and Olivia putter around the house while Daddy and George go to our favorite donut shop and pick up our standard breakfast order.  Only, today, after being gone for 25 minutes, Barney called to tell me he was giving up and heading home.  He was stymied by running into a faction of our town's annual marathon race.  George was heartbroken, but we made snow donuts instead, and it was a small compensation.

I was able to get most of my work done during Olivia's morning nap, and then we packed a picnic and headed to the Botanic Gardens to enjoy the beautiful day and to feed the turtles, who incidentally turned out to have no interest in being fed--very unusual for them.

I finished my work during the kids' afternoon nap and so was able to make dinner tonight in addition to getting the week's laundry done.  After dinner, I read my book for a while, and then Barney and I watched The Social Network.

In short, it was a great day.  The hard days probably make for better stories and definitely lead to more introspection on my part.  Today, I made three homemade meals, cleaned, folded, and put away all of my husband's laundry, and wrote secret love messages on his sandwich for lunch with the mustard.  Nothing earth-shattering, life-altering, or even that noticeable was done on my part.  But, as I read my father-in-law's email tonight about how much he is already missing his wife who just left today, I realized that while these simple gifts of a wife may not always be commented on or consciously noticed, they definitely make a difference in a marriage.

1 comment: