Thursday, February 10, 2011

Days 59 & 60--An Organization Maven

I had good intentions of posting last night, but Marshall was in town for the evening due to an early flight out today.  So, we stayed up late playing games, which was really fun.  The new downside to this routine is that when we play, my adrenaline starts pumping, and that makes it hard for me to sleep even though we are already going to bed late.  But, I am really, really enjoying the new dynamic that has settled in between Marshall and I and feel like it is another great side effect of my project.  We are certainly not buddies or anything, but I think that we are friends now.  (Does that distinction make sense to anyone besides me I wonder?)

Today was insane, but for good reasons.  We had our first showing since our recent price drop on our house, and during my sleepless hours last night, I created a to-do list of things that needed to be done to make our house more appealing, mostly in terms of organization of drawers and cabinets.  So, I spent all morning organizing and cleaning out the cabinets and drawers in our bathrooms.  Then, my mom came into town to help me shop for fabric for a new blanket for Olivia and the new baby, Jefferson.  During the outing, I told my mom that the one other area that I really want to fix in our house is our pantry.  It's not appealing to the eye, and it is a major detractor to the house because it is in our garage and not in a separated space of its own.  Ironically (or not, depending on how you look at it), when we got the feedback on the showing today, they listed the pantry as the major downside to the house.  However, they want to come back on Saturday for a second showing.  So, my only goal for the next couple of days is to transform our pantry.  I am in full organizer mode here.

Before my mom left, she accompanied the four of us to Target where we all looked at ideas for fixing the pantry area only to determine that I'm going to have to pony up and head to the Container Store.  (What does this have to do with anything you ask?  I promise, I am almost there...)  Despite the fact that I had not even logged into the computer yet for the day, I wanted to drop the kids and hubby back off at the house and head straight to the Container Store to get what I need to get this fixed and help sell our house.  I was even willing to forgo watching my favorite night of TV for the week in order to finish this project.

But, my original plan for tonight was to finally fix Barney his birthday dinner and to sit and have a nice dinner just the two of us.  I couldn't go to the Container Store and make his dinner in the same night.  I had to choose, and I chose dinner with Barney.  He got a very nice steak, homemade mashed potatoes, crescent rolls, and three cheese pasta.  The meal was a success.  I put him first tonight, and even though I really wanted to forge ahead with my project, I know it was the right decision.  Would Barney have resented me for picking up takeout and going to the store and putting his birthday dinner on hold until tomorrow?  I doubt it, after all it is several weeks late already anyway.  Still though, the pantry can wait until tomorrow, and while technically so could putting Barney first, it seems like an awfully bad decision when you frame it in terms of holding off on spending quality time with your husband and putting him as a first priority in your life so that you can make your pantry look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment