Sunday, February 20, 2011

Days 69 & 70--A Rather Laid-Back Weekend

This weekend was pretty low-key.  We did a birthday dinner at a restaurant with my parents on Friday evening (it was my dad's birthday), and a birthday party at George's school for one of George's friends Saturday morning.  Other than church, the rest of the weekend has pretty much been left to our own devices.  The lovely thing has been the weather--we have spent much time outside, practicing baseball (George is about to play baseball this spring, which will be his first organized sport to participate in), going on long walks, and just generally enjoying the day.

From Friday through tonight, I've had numerous opportunities to take deliberate action in showing Barney how I feel about him, from skipping work on Friday to go to lunch and then browse around shops in town, to watching Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps  last night instead of finishing my essay grading  or reading my book (which I really wanted to do), to getting Barney a milkshake for a snack today and then doing steak for dinner, which we watched while eating Man Vs. Wild (never the best dinner option in my opinion). 

He has also been very deliberate about trying to take care of me and show me how he feels about me, from watching the kids while I worked to bringing and/or making me tea, to fixing and cleaning up dinner tonight.

I think that we are both trying to make up for the general low morale that we are both feeling these days.  We are both in a funk over our housing woes, and spending so much of our time in this house doesn't help.  But, the main point that I'm trying to make is that despite the tendency to become easily irritated and despite how easy it is to take our frustrations out on one another, both of us are making deliberate attempts to counter those tendencies.  I find that to be so very encouraging overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment