Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 56--Super Bowl Sunday

Today was as hectic as I thought it would be, but all in all, it was a good day.  We spent the day with Barney's family, starting with lunch at his sister's house (they live about an hour away), and then we hung out with the family there for the afternoon.  George and Olivia in particular seemed to very much enjoy themselves throughout the afternoon.  Then, we headed over to another house in the area for the Super Bowl and to celebrate Barney's niece's first birthday.  It was another fun party, and the whole family seemed to have a good time.

I worked hard to accommodate Barney today by being willing to leave early despite the lack of work that I completed this morning and by being willing to stay through the whole game, despite knowing I would come home to a couple hours of work and that the kids would be way off their sleep schedule as a result.  I found that both sacrifices were worth the enjoyment that both my husband and kids had over the course of the day.  Sometimes I think that relaxing is actually one of the hardest things for me to do, even while simultaneously pretty much always longing for some quality R&R time.  It was good for me to see friends and family today, to get to dress up and feel pretty, and to forget about work for several straight hours.

Our activities for today were remarkably similar to what we did last year for the Super Bowl, and honestly, I think that I had much the same attitude last year.  I knew that it would be an event that Barney would really enjoy and that would be fun for me as well, so even last year it was not something that met much resistance or resentment from me.  I still feel like there is somehow a difference though, and I think that if I had to pinpoint it, the closest would be that last year, this attitude was an anomaly from the stress that I usually brought to such excursions, while now I feel that it is much more the norm.  Regardless of the issues I currently face in my attempts to clarify how best to proceed with this project, I consider this achievement to be a small but notable success in terms of making progress in bettering my marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment