Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 87--I'm A Cheerleader Y'all

This morning marked our fourth day in a row to have a scheduled visit to a medical professional.  George had his first dentist appointment on Monday morning, Olivia went to the doctor on Tuesday to get some antibiotics for an infected sore, Barney had his yearly check up yesterday, and today I had my 28 week pregnancy visit.  So, despite our very late night, we hit the ground running this morning.

We signed the contract last night at 12:45am and then attempted to get some sleep.  Olivia was up at 6:45 am, and we were all up by 7:20 and out the door by 8:20.  As soon as my doctor's appointment was finished, we grabbed some breakfast, went to see our realtor to pay our earnest money, and then we headed out to our new town to visit the two day a week daycare where George and Olivia will attend next year.  We just loved it and were able to secure two spots (thankfully).  By the time we got home, it was noon, and we had not started work yet.  We also scheduled our inspection, had a mover come give us an estimate (yowser!), and dealt with various issues related to getting the current house leased (still not a done deal--the background checks are taking forever).

After we finished all of that, a crazy thing happened--Barney curled up on the couch with me and we took a nap for an hour.  While I nap whenever possible (ie very rarely these days), he never naps.  It was less a desire to cuddle than a move motivated by exhaustion, but I will take what I can get.  And, it was still a very sweet moment for me.  But then it was time to go get the kids, who were super, super fussy for some reason tonight.  Normally, we would just go on a long walk on nights like this when they get so cranky, but Barney was working with our loan officer to get our --really good-- rate locked and needed to be close to our home phone.  He was just beside himself because he was half-convinced that they were going to decide we did not qualify for a loan after all and that we would not get the house we so want.  I was not really worried about this possibility, partly I'm sure because I don't have the industry experience that he does to really understand how common getting turned down is, and partly because I know that we have great credit and that we can afford the house we are buying.  Regardless of the reason, I took on the role of cheerleader tonight, as well as making sure he had the space he needed to deal with his anxiety.

Luckily, it only took about two hours for the loan officer to send us the approved letter, but it was a tense two hours for my sweet husband.  I think that we are destined for several more of those over the next 19 days as we work to close on our house.  But, most of the major hurdles have been crossed, and I am anticipating that our stress will come more from a lack of time than from worries about the deal not coming together as we have hoped.

Though I would say that our marriage is one of the more partner-based marriages I have really ever seen, meaning that we work together so much as a team, this process has really strengthened our ability to work together and our ability to draw on our respective strengths and weaknesses in ways that we have not consistently done in the past.  I am not to a place where I can really appreciate the turmoil that life has been for the last couple of months, but I am grateful for the ways in which these circumstances have strengthened my marriage in ways that we probably never could have achieved on our own in better circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment