Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 91--A Celebration Ruined

We made plans months ago to do a three part celebration--the day we closed on selling our house (revised to signed a lease), the day we put a contract on our new house, and the day we close on our new house.

Of course, with the time crunch and expenses involved in moving, our celebrations were not going to be big.  But, we had some really good things to celebrate today.  First, our lease is now officially signed and in place for the renters for our new house, and because they bid up on the price we were asking, it is a very good deal for us.  Second, we finally have a signed and seemingly finalized deal in place on our new house, including inspection information.

The plan was that we would each get a special treat and then eat dinner and watch one TV show while taking a break from our work/packing.  Barney wanted Chipotle, which of course I did not want at all, but I agreed for our celebration.  I wanted banana pudding for dessert from a nearby restaurant that makes a really great batch.

While I was getting Olivia ready for bed, Barney went to go get the food, but he came back without the pudding, having totally forgotten about my treat.  I was very disappointed and did not make great efforts to conceal it.  I know that he wanted me to say forget it, and I should have.  But, I really wanted the pudding and to have something that felt like a celebration since we have had very little but stress in our lives for what feels like all of 2011.

Barney took his food into a different room to eat so that he would not have to be around me, and then he left in a huff to get the pudding.  I stayed home and got George ready for bed and rushed to finish my work so that we could celebrate when he got home.

But, when he came home, he went upstairs and started packing, and when I asked him if he was ready to come have our little celebration, he told me he was not interested.  I went upstairs to talk to him, and he told me that I had ruined it, and that he would not be spending time around me for the rest of the night.  He then invited me to go somewhere else in the house to cry.  I took him up on that offer, but only after a good 20 minutes of begging him not to cancel the celebration.  At some point, it was obvious to me that I should quit trying, but I am so disappointed that we could not take one measly hour off to have some kind of small (and admittedly trite) celebration of these major events in our life.

I know that my goal here is to find ways to be a better wife, so I feel like I should be saying that I should not have let my disappointment show about the pudding or maybe even that I should not have been disappointed, since the real point of the celebration was to spend time together commemorating the commencement of our long-held goals (or at least major milestones to reaching our endgame of moving into our new house).  But, I honestly feel like I tried my very best tonight and that my sincere apologies were not listened to because Barney was not interested in reconciling with me.

However, I am determined to find better ways tomorrow to improve upon what transpired tonight.  In the meantime, I should definitely go pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment